Sunday, 4 October 2009

Chelsea back on top as United rely on late draw against Sunderland

Chelsea took advantage of Man Utd's inability to beat Sunderland, by defeating Liverpool to head back to the top of the Premier League table.

Man Utd stuttered to a 2-2 draw at home to Sunderland, but it could have been much worse as they had to rely on another injury time goal, this time a shot from Patrice Evra which cannoned off Anton Ferdinand's leg, when had he avoided the shot, it would have gone out for a goal kick, and could have signalled Steve Bruce's first win over his former boss Alex Ferguson.

Utd had fallen behind to an early goal, when Darren Bent fired home for 20 yards, but pulled level six minutes after half time thanks to Dimitar Berbatov's spectacular scissor kick in front of the Stretford End. It didn't last long though as Kenwyn Jones nodded past Ben Foster to put Sunderland 2-1 up before United managed to pull a point out of this disappointing performance.

Chelsea then had the chance to go back to the top, but had to beat Liverpool to do so, and it wasn't a classic, but goals from Nicolas Anelka & an injury time finish from Florent Malouda meant that Chelsea went back to the summit.

Tottenham cling on to 3rd place after only managing a draw at Bolton, who had taken the lead through Ricardo Gardner on 3 minutes, but Niko Kranjcar levelled matters up just before the break Bolton went back ahead through striker Kevin Davies' headed and looked to be on for a win, but up popped Vedran Corluka to head Spurs level, and that's the way it finished.

Arsenal fly into 4th place as they came from 2-1 down to hammer Blackburn 6-2 at the Emirates, with six different scorers, as Thomas Vermaelen, Robin Van Persie, Andrey Arshavin, Cesc Fabregas, Theo Walcott & Nicklas Bendtner got in on the act, and all this after Blackburn had led through goals from Steven Nzonzi & David Dunn.

Burnley maintained their rather bizarre Jekyl & Hyde show as they won their 4th consecutive home match against Birmingham 2-1, thanks to goals from Steven Fletcher, and Andre Bikey, Birmingham pulling one back through Sebastian Larsson in injury time.

Everton were unable to gain their 7th straight win as they were held at home to Stoke 1-1, as the visitors took the lead through new signing Robert Huth, but the Toffees quickly levelled through Leon Osman.

Wigan, fresh from last week's win over Chelsea went down 2-1 at Hull, as the Tigers scored twice in an eight minute spell in the second half, new boy Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink grabbing his first for the club, and Geovanni soon followed up with the second. Wigan did pull one back as Scott Sinclair scored 3 minutes from time.

Fulham were denied a win at West Ham, as both teams desperate for points fought out a 2-2 draw, with the Hammers levelling the game up in stoppage time through Junior Stanislaus. West Ham had taken the lead initially on 16 minutes as Carlton Cole pounced, but Fulham hit back with goals from Danny Murphy (pen) and Zoltan Gera, before the home side snatched a point late on.

Portsmouth scored their first win of the season, with a 1-0 win at Wolves, as Hassan Yebda scored the all important goal, however, Pompey were lucky not have a penalty awarded against them for what seemed a certain handball in the second half.

Aston Villa & Man City couldn't be seperated in the Monday night game, as Villa took the lead through ex-Blue Richard Dunne, who signed for Villa in the close season, but Craig Bellamy levelled things up in the second half.

It was an interesting night for Gareth Barry, who received a crescendo of boos following his transfer to the Eastlands club.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leace your comments here...